Piles, also known as Hemorrhoids, can be simply defined as follows
- Piles is caused when veins in the anal region (rectum and anus) get inflamed
- Internal Hemorrhoids occur within the rectum, are comparatively painless but can still cause bleeding
- External Hemorrhoids are swellings or lumps that can visibly be seen near the anal opening
- Hemorrhoids can result in discomforts like itching, inflammation, burning sensation, pricking, pain, and bleeding to varying degrees
When you are in pain, only you can truly understand the value of relief.
Precautions for Piles are simple and beneficial and prevent the onset as well as a recurrence. Below we cover all you need to know about changing your lifestyle to enjoy a Piles-free life.
Lifestyle Alterations to Manage Piles and Fissure
Let's cut right to the chase. There are plenty of interesting, and effective, natural remedies for Piles, the best among them is a conscious and active lifestyle change.
Straining during bowel movements or a lack of proper bowel movements is often the root cause of Piles.
- A diet rich in fiber, or at least meals that have adequate fiber content in them, go easy on your intestines and help smooth out your bowel movements
- Fiber is a 'good roughage' that aids in smooth stool movement. In other words, less pressure on your colon and easy 'evacuation', so to speak
Closely connected to the previous point, this one may seem like a no-brainer to some of you. But you will be surprised just how many people forget to drink enough water or liquids throughout the day.
- From fruit juices and shakes to water, fluids make the passage of undigested as well as digested food smoother through the gastrointestinal tract
- The hardness of stool and its passage through your system is directly influenced by your daily fluid intake
Good water intake can result in better bowel movements and overall health. Both of which directly impact the chances of developing Piles.
3. No Force Policy
You will often spend some time in the restroom. This brings us to the most important part of your Piles-management routine...
- If you need to 'evacuate', it is wise to remember that forcing bowel movement is NOT a safe way to do it
- You might assume, "the sooner this is over with, the better". However, the reality is quite different. You need to take it smooth and slow, not fast, and rushed
- The latter will only exacerbate your already prevalent Piles condition
- This is a strong reason for Piles development, and this can be avoided
- Avoid spending more than 15 minutes to ‘evacuate’. If this becomes a habit, it can increase the chance of developing Piles
- Recommendation: sit for 2-3 minutes, and if it happens, keep going through the motion. If nothing, get up, wash up, and try again later
- Similarly, it is smart NOT to prevent bowel movement, or 'hold it in'. We are referring to moments when you are in a social setting and are thinking of rushing back home to use your own washroom
- It is better to use the nearest available restroom instead of waiting, which only adds further strain on your colon and rectum, in turn worsening your Piles
It mostly helps if you have a 'moment' or 'schedule' every day for your bowel movements. Your body will automatically be ready to follow the routine at that time, and wait until the next day to repeat. This will require added lifestyle modifications on your part but is definitely worth the effort.
Maintaining hygiene is very important when you are suffering from Piles or Fissure. Good clean underwear is the need of the hour, especially for those with Piles or Fissure. You are, after all, also fighting secondary infections that can and will make your Piles or Fissure situation worse.
- Cotton fabrics with a loose fit prevent discomfort and help in the healing process
- This, in turn, means less stress on your Hemorrhoids, especially in the early stages when they are most open to either turning better or worse
- Recommendation: breathable cotton fabrics are the best
5. Things to Keep in Mind
If you happen to suffer from the early onset of Piles, you may need to think of what you add to your shopping cart.
- Perfumed toilet papers are a definite no-no. The same applies to commercial baby wipes, while these may make YOU feel good, they do no favours for your Hemorrhoids
- It is better to wash your Piles with good soap and keep the area clean, but it is even better to rely on the trusted and proven Ayurvedic medicines for Piles, specifically the ones that are innovative and remarkably easy to use, like the newly introduced spray, PiloSpray, and the combination treatment for Piles and Fissure, PiloKit
- If you are in the habit of taking aspirin, quit right now. Aspirin thins the blood, making blood move around your system that much quicker. You may experience fewer headaches, but your Piles bleeding is sure to get out of control. Only the exception to this premise is the patients who are on prescribed blood thinners
When researching which food to avoid for Piles, we came across a bunch of interesting ideas. We wish to dedicate a sub-head exclusively for this…
6. Foods to Avoid for Piles
Note these down somewhere. Magnet-tack them to your refrigerator if you have to:
- Say bye-bye to alcohol. At least until you heal up completely from Hemorrhoids or Fissure. Once you are done screaming, "Why, God, why me!?" here's a piece of information, alcohol produces small dry stool, which is not great for Piles or Fissure
- Also, avoid highly refined foods in your diet. This means you are going to keep the following OUT of your grocery basket: pastries, white rice, white bread, cakes, baked goods in general
- Keep these foods off your plate: all-purpose flour, animal protein, and foods low in fiber content. These are too slow to digest and make the Piles or Fissure healing process harder
It is important to remember that in the case of Piles or Fissure, prevention is definitely superior to any cure. One of our advice-points, namely foods to avoid, might seem too strict to some, making them wonder, "What am I gonna eat now or if I get to eat anything at all?"
There are plenty of alternatives: fruits, whole grains (cereals, bread), vegetables, nuts and seeds, beans, a small portion of rice, flax seeds (Omega 3), and pulses. This is but the tip of the health-iceberg for you. For someone suffering from Piles or Fissure related symptoms and/or conditions, you need to take the extra step and go the extra mile to save yourself a world of trouble.
Piles or Fissure can prove enormously painful if you remain casual in the early stages. Prevent! This has been the core message shared so far, namely that you change your lifestyle habits in order to make it easier for medications (including and especially Ayurveda) to work on your Piles.
Freedom and peace of mind are invaluable. Working consistently to prevent this grim chapter of your life, which could be full of struggles with Hemorrhoids or Fissure, is always a smart step in the right direction. But, for those of you, who have begun this episode of pain and discomfort, we are your expert help in your journey from Piles to Smiles!!!